Thursday, December 4, 2008

Do this to protect your money when buying from the internet!


I recently found a program that I wanted to purchase off of the internet but I was not familiar with the company that was selling it. The only way that I could purchase it was by my Visa Debit card. So I was a little skeptical but I wanted the program.

I've coached several people who have had their account info and identity stolen by making purchases over the internet. My wife and I was also a victim of this about 5 years ago.

Here is a way that I've discovered that pretty much is a 100% way to protect your bank account from being drained by a online thief!

When you find something you want on the internet and your not 100% comfortable about the security of the online sale go out and get a Visa Gift Card to make the purchase!

Here are the benefits of doing so:
  1. You can use the card to make purchases on the internet
  2. Even if someone steals the info all they have access to is the amount on the card not all the money in your account
  3. Some banks offer this for free so it can cost you $0.00 to do this
  4. If something does happen Visa offers a free service that will help you track down your money!
Here's what you do:
  1. Find out the total cost of the purchase (include shipping and handling and taxes)
  2. Go out and get a Visa Gift card for that amount. I usually just round to the nearest dollar.
  3. Register your gift card online. You will have to put your name and mailing address so you can make the purchase online. (So some of your Identity is still out there, but at least your money isn't)
  4. Make the purchase!
If your unsure about an internet purchase try this method out and tell me how it goes!

Carlos Frank
Personal Financial Coach
www.nextmoneystep.com

No comments: