Saturday, November 8, 2008

12 ways to save money at the grocery store!

Ok it's Saturday so that means time to shop for groceries for the Frank family. So it made me think about a coaching session I just had with a client. One of the things we discussed we're her grocery shopping habits and some things she can do to save money on her groceries.

If you want to save money on your groceries then utilize this list:
  1. Have a set amount you will spend on groceries on a weekly or monthly basis and stick to it.
  2. Always shop with a grocery list.
  3. Write out your menu for the week and base your grocery list on that.
  4. Never go grocery shopping hungry! (Your stomach doesn't know how much you've set aside for groceries!
  5. Keep the kids at home! I have 4 of them so I know this from first hand experience. They are excellent salesmen!
  6. Ok if you have to bring the kids go back and read rule number 4 and keep them out of the cereal aisle! Ever notice how Captain Crunch and all his friends are right at your kids eye level?
  7. NEVER, NEVER, ever go grocery shopping at a gas station or convenience store. You will always pay a premium because of "convenience"!
  8. Only buy what you have on your grocery list.
  9. Take advantage of coupons if they are for things you were going to buy anyway.
  10. Keep a running estimate of how much you've bought so far. For example if the milk cost $3.29 I add $4.00 to my running estimate. Then the eggs cost $1.59 I add $2.00 to the $4.00 for the milk and I now know I'm at $6.00 so far. Rounding up to the nearest dollar helps account for taxes and 99% of the time I'm over the amount I actually spend at check out.
  11. Don't buy something just because it's on sale! Only buy it if it's on the list or if you are going to replace it with something else and stay within you grocery budget.
  12. At the check out line keep an eye on how much things ring up for to ensure they ring up correctly, then take a quick glance at the receipt to ensure that they didn't ring up 10 of something that you only bought 1 of! Hey...people make mistakes.
What tips do you have to save money at the grocery store?

No comments: